Sunday, February 21, 2010

Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli

I feel so satisfied and accomplished - just for cooking a simple meal.  Partly because I figured out something delicious and special from ingredients already around the house.  Partly becaue it was my own recepie.  Partly becaue it was so yummy.  Spinach and ricotta stuffed raviolis. 

To a non cook, the idea that a regular person could make pasta, and without too much fuss, is astounding.  Pasta comes from factories, I believed, some unknowable process that involves machines spewing forth a hard substance that must be boiled soft.  I have come to understand that a not-particularly-talented-cook can create tender, tasty delights.  Lola, and Lidia have shown me that it is possible.

I realize now, that magic is always there, waiting to be born from the innocent and ever present flour in the cupboard and eggs in the refrigerator.  Mix, knead, press - tah dah!

Saute some garlic in a little butter, add spinach, ricotta and prosciutto.  Plop little piles in intervals along a long rectangle of pasta.  Fold, seal, cut, and boil.  And there you have it!  I made a dinner fit for a cookbook, for a cooking show.  If I can do it, you can do it, too.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious! I am less and less a cook as time goes on but pasta remains one of my favorites. I used to have a wonderful vegetarian lasagna recipe...not that we're vegetarians, but we do love our veggies. I no longer have it, but it included carrots and the whole 9 yards.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love having you at my table with me.

Something About Sunsets

There is something about sunsets that always makes me melancholy.  Dylan Thomas whispers in my ears.  "Do not go gentle into that goo...