Sunday, January 23, 2011

Something About Sunsets

There is something about sunsets that always makes me melancholy.  Dylan Thomas whispers in my ears.

 "Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should rave and burn at the close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."


Yet, nighttime has its own magic, especially in winter.  Snowshoeing through the woods at night, with a bright moon on the snow, owls hooting, stars glistening, is so exhilarating that morbid feelings about night fade away.  Maybe I can develop a change of feeling about sunsets if I try to perceive them as about drawing in for a pause or respite from the day, for reflection and contemplation.

5 comments:

  1. Yep, there is definitely something magical about sunsets.
    Cheers, jj

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been quiet for a long time. Everything okay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always loved sunsets. Saw the most beautiful sunset in the West Midlands yesterday. Pinks like you wouldnt believe it. Vibrant pinks. It made me stop dead in my tracks, drop what I was doing (heading to the bread bin to get some bread to go with dipping oil) and go outside to simply stare at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Summer sunsets out our window are awesome. We have a lot of cloud here, and now that we're higher than much of the city, we get a much better view of the night time sky, with the sun creating so many patterns in the clouds.
    We haven't been here in the winter yet, but I expect that will have a glorious view, too.
    And when the Northern Lights come, I expect we'll have a wonderful display, though the light pollution from the city may interfere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My fаmily mеmbers all the tіme
    ѕаy that I am κillіng my tіme hеrе аt ωеb,
    eхceрt Ι κnow Ι am getting famіlіaгіty
    daily by reаding thes fastidious аrtіcles or revieωs.


    Mу sіtе party pills cheap

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love having you at my table with me.

Something About Sunsets

There is something about sunsets that always makes me melancholy.  Dylan Thomas whispers in my ears.  "Do not go gentle into that goo...