Wednesday, June 17, 2009

We're OFF!

Can you see me? Just there behind the wheel? Well, not YET, but by Friday that will be me! Tomorrow we'll be on our way to Tortoal, BVI for a week of sailing on a sailboat Just Like This! We'll be bareboating, which means we rent the boat but sail it ourselves.

This is one of our steps in our choice to spend an extended period of time living on boat (months, years?) I figured that if I am going to sell my house, leave behind my practice and live a nomad's life aboard a sailboat, I'd better see if I actually like spending my nights at sea (or at least at anchor in a sheltered cove of a Caribbean island).

I hope to take a lot of pictures, but won't be able to post until I return. I tried to obtain a waterproof, clear bag so I could take underwater photos. Unfortunately, the "large" waterproof bag I ordered which purported to be big enough to fit a 35mm camera - isn't. So, perhaps I'll pick up a disposable underwater camera while there.

Yet, there should be a lot of above water shots from our kayak or hiking jaunts. Wow - This is going to be so cool!

I hope everyone has a very good week.

8 comments:

  1. Wow - have a great trip and enjoy yourself. Can't wait to see the pictures when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jennifer,

    well I wish you a wonderful week of initiation...have fun, take care and I'll be waiting to see the evidence...

    Happy Days

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's some adventure! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. have a blast... you'll be living many peoples dream for a week....take me with??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. You will either love it or hate it. There is no wishy-washy when living on a boat. I don't know if you read my post (http://www.liannescott.com/search/label/boat) but I lived on a boat for a year and loved it. We weren't on a sailboat, but have plans to do it again in the future. Have a fantastic time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine living on a boat, but have fun practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow that is so great, Jennifer! I sometimes embrace that dream too, living aboard. But it kinda clashed with all the cliché child upbringing dogmas. If I were to totally change my life and home-school my child, it could be done. I'd also need to find a acquiescent partner though!

    Have a wonderful time sailing the Caribbean (wow!) and we'll discuss the African magnet effect upon your return. It's a long and interesting topic.

    Can't wait to see the gorgeaous photos, take more than you deem acceptable, because once you get home you'll be happy you did.

    Ciao from your friend,
    Lola xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a fabulous time! What a terrific adventure - I look forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love having you at my table with me.

Something About Sunsets

There is something about sunsets that always makes me melancholy.  Dylan Thomas whispers in my ears.  "Do not go gentle into that goo...